It's been a while since I talked about the podcasts I listen to and I have expanded my set of regulars a little:
- Techzing - Two developers (Justin Vincent and Jason Roberts) natter about a whole host of interesting topics and interview some great people (I got into the show after the Jason Calacanis interview). Really enjoying this show. It is very easy to identify with these guys. This show has become one of my favorite tech podcasts.
- This Developers Life - Since the demise of the StackOverflow podcast, this podcast fills the gap in my lineup for purely entertaining chatter about life as a programmer. Mostly great stuff ('Drive' went a little off the rails).
- This American Life - The single greatest thing about 'This Developers Life' is that it introduced me to this show. Consistently brilliant.
- The Pipeline - Dan Benjamin interviews a host of interesting creative types. I have gone back and consumed the entire backlog.
A very old friend of mine Phill Joyce has recently started a games development journal at pegwars.blogspot.com. As a programmer, Phill has been a source of inspiration since my very first days as a fledging programmer and I am looking forward to reading about his game development exploits.
The image is a 3D render of the ship model that Phill built for Pegwars v1. it occasionally reappears as my desktop background.
The attached photo is my desk after much beak snapping, flapping of great dirty wings and scrabbling claws. Rawwwrrrk FTW!
Part of my motivation for building this blog (apart from PHP being just so much fun), was the persistence of my 1993 style links page on each iteration of my website from that time onwards. So here goes my totally web two point zero links bonanza.
I like audiobooks, but thanks to my decrepit phone and Audible DRM, I found myself looking elsewhere for audio distractions. On the whole Podcasts fill this niche nicely:
- Stack Overflow Podcast - Entertaining and often informative developer luminaries and creators of Stack Overflow.
- The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - Skeptical goodness with a K.
- Quack Cast - Mark Crislip, an Infectious Disease specialist, talks about alternatives to Medicine (as opposed to Alternative Medicine).
- Democracy Now - Quality independent news with a progressive slant.
- This Week in Tech - Tech, Online Media, Social Networking. Sometimes a Meta-podcast.
- HanselMinutes - An intelligent, informed speaker goes a long way to make the often Microsoft .NET centric content, interesting for me.
- Stephen Fry's PODGRAMS - Rarely published bite sized goodness from my original Twitterlebrity.
- The Ricky Gervais Podcast - Gervais/Merchant hilarity with inexplicable Karl Pilkington for good measure.
- This Week in Startups - Jason Calacanis interviews successful Startup creators.
- The Mobile Orchard Developer Podcast - iPhone developer interviews.
- The Startup Success Podcast - Startups from a developer perspective.
- Software Engineering Radio - Interviews and discussion on specific programming topics.
A colleague of mine just released Cantabile 2.0. If you are interested in Virtual Studio Technology Instruments (VST) you should check it out.
VST aside, this thing is a kick ass example of a custom built, high performance, Ribbon based UI