August 1940

Written by on July 4, 2009, 11:17 pm

I have alternatively made progress and had setbacks in the last few days. First the progress:

I am finding the new interface really streamlined for creating content and have finished entering data points up to August 1940 in Europe. The battle for France has ended, the Italians have entered the war and the Battle of Britain has just begun, it is a fascinating period to be reading about. I would love to get hold of a book on the Battle of Britain to improve the geographical data I have entered for the various phases of that conflict.

The setbacks:

First I discovered that the datapoint creation form was badly broken in Internet Explorer 7. Fixing this will involve a painstaking process of elimination to find the CSS at the root of the problem. I then discovered that the main Timemap interface was broken on all versions of IE, this is a much more serious. I haven't had a chance to investigate yet, but I am confident that this problem will not be too complicated to resolve.

Update : The second problem with the main interface is fixed now. Turns out I was generating some invalid JSON for polyline type markers on the map. Now I just have to fix up entry creation interface for IE7.

Permalink - Tags: Development,World War Two